Re: Europa-List: Aileron Trim Servo

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron Trim Servo
From: Jan de Jong <jan.de.jong@xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:07:26

I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but what you're looking for IMHO,
is a constant sideways force independent of sideways movement of the stick; so
the bungee should be long enough to make the force approximately constant. To
avoid the situation of a completely loose bungee when no sideways force is
needed
a constant tension bungee pulling gently the other way could be used.
Jan de Jong

Peter Zutrauen wrote:

> Ok, apologies in advance it this question is daft, but does the bungee force
not increase non-linearly as the stretch? If this is so, does the stick force
not become unbalanced when moving off center/neutral? Even if the bungee force
is linear as it stretches, if one has it set for no pull on the stick with the
stick neutral (case=no trim required),  the stick would require more pull in
the direction of stretching the bungee vs the other...no?  Are the bungee forces
so small that one does not notice these effects?

> Cheers & thanks,
>

>         On Russell's plane you don't notice any change in bungee tension when
>         moving the stick fore and aft. It's a very light bungee and is
> attached
>         to the bolt securing the stick to the control mechanism. The
> derailleur
>         lever is on the floor to the right of the column so you can easily
> reach
>         down and click it either way as required.
>
>         I've got an embedded aileron servo on mine but I'm now wishing I'd
> been
>         as ingenious as Russell as it really is a very tidy solution.... and
I'm