Re: IO-240 and Super 200

Subject: Re: IO-240 and Super 200
From: Joseph J. Like <josephlike@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:46:32
 Tony,
Lakeland had two additiononal engines a special light weight 0200 and the
BMW. Bob had builded up the 0200 and had the weight down. The BMW never
did get a SRU so it was written off. I've seen both engines back in the
late 90's.

Joe
A086

"Tony S. Krzyzewski" wrote:

  I'm surprised I'm the first of the 'oldies' to mention this. You will
  note that the XS cowling is considerably narrower that the classic.
  This
  was due to the fact that in early development it was thought that the
  O-240 might be a suitable fit to the aircraft. Lakeland even went so
  far
  as to looking at an installation and may have even had an 0-240 on
  the
  aircraft (it was a long time ago and my memory fails me in that
  regard).
  In the end it was decided that the engine was simply too heavy and
  wouldn't give any real performance increase over a 914. Once the
  O-240
  was eliminated this gave the opportunity to slim down the cowlings to
  the current XS shape.

  Tony
  The Europa Forum is supported by Aviators Network UK
  <info@avnet.co.uk>