Re: IO-240 and Super 200

Subject: Re: IO-240 and Super 200
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:42:55

I'm surprised I'm the first of the 'oldies' to mention this. You will
note that the XS cowling is considerably narrower that the classic. This
was due to the fact that in early development it was thought that the
O-240 might be a suitable fit to the aircraft. Lakeland even went so far
as to looking at an installation and may have even had an 0-240 on the
aircraft (it was a long time ago and my memory fails me in that regard).
In the end it was decided that the engine was simply too heavy and
wouldn't give any real performance increase over a 914. Once the O-240
was eliminated this gave the opportunity to slim down the cowlings to
the current XS shape.

Tony