Re: IO-240 and Super 200

Subject: Re: IO-240 and Super 200
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:52:47

>Hi! Shaun,
>Does your Weight figures for the Rotax include the Muffler?
>I know the Jabiru figure does.
>Regards
>Bob Harrison G-PTAG  Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300

It is never going to be possible to get acceptable efficiency from an air
cooled engine. They have to be liquid cooled too, only this time the
coolant is excess fuel, (plus oil cooling of course. The only way to cool a
piston is with oil.)
So, if you want an acceptable power to weight ratio you have to go liquid
cooled.
In practice all engines are air cooled, but to get a high enough heat
transfer rate from small surface area high temperature components, liquid
has to be used, which can then spread the heat into high surface area
radiators. That's the way I read it anyway. Could be wrong? We can
all  make mistakes. Bin there, once too often!
Graham