Re: Battery in Front or Back?

Subject: Re: Battery in Front or Back?
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:24:49
Message text written by "david joyce"
>I felt this was slightly too far forward for the CG and put 3lbs in
front of the sternpost to bring the CG back to what I thing is the ideal
position of 59''- which is compatible with pretty much any combination of
fat passenger/no luggage or no pax/max luggage and max fuel. I thought that
the 3lb penalty in lead was well worth while for the convenience and
efficiency of siting the battery in the engine compartment on top of the
passenger footwell, which also saves a fair bit of weight by avoiding long
runs of heavy duty cable and the need to build a strong retaining box for
the battery, (as opposed to sitting it in a small light tray and simply
strapping it to the firewall). <

The cables and battery tray for an aft battery weigh less than 3lb of
ballast (mine weighed no more than 2lb) and make external power connection
much easier. By all means use a forward battery position if it doesn't cost
weight and (in the case of a monowheel) doesn't put the C of G too far
forward.

Nigel Charles