Re: Battery in Front or Back?

Subject: Re: Battery in Front or Back?
From: david joyce <davidjoyce@beeb.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:50:04
Bob, Passenger wt is in front of CG permissable range and thus brings CG
forward whereas fuel and luggage sit behind. If you have a full load of
everything there isn't likely to be a problem. The challenge is coping with
heavy pax with no luggage and not much fuel or at the other extreme a light
solo pilot with loads of luggage and fuel. I don't think you can predict
where your CG will be (unless perhaps you go for the Wilksch engine) as
small weight increases on the tail (?how much filler, paint, electrics) have
a disproportionate influence on CG location. I took the approach that I
preferred to have the battery in front and fitted it there, prepared to move
it if final weighing showed I had to.  David