Re: Battery in Front or Back?

Subject: Re: Battery in Front or Back?
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 11:22:18
In a message dated 1/3/2003 5:27:54 AM Pacific Standard Time, ScramIt@aol.com
writes:

> That's it that's the question. Monowheel, 912S, AirMaster prop.
> I have the long cable set. Then I was thinking two people, fuel, baggage,
> maybe its better up front.

Steve,

I just finished my CG check. I have a 914 engine and I have 2 batteries. I
installed them in the back -- long wings too. My CG is forward in the
envelope, but well inside. I ended up at 58.8 empty. If I remove a 20 pound
weight from there and install it at the firewall, the CG would be.......57.4.
That represents the shift of moving a 20 pound weight that far forward --
basically 1.4 inches. I have the airmaster prop also, which is a heavy weight
forward. You could compare the difference between the engine weights compared
to the battery shift and make your decision. Make sure you get this right,
because I can tell you that once you do this CG check, you feel pretty set in
concrete and hoping it will work out OK. For sure, the batt goes in the back
for a 914. For a 912 with airmaster???
Dave