Re: Mainwheel punctures

Subject: Re: Mainwheel punctures
From: STOUT GARRY V CSFF2 <garrys@att.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:35:52
Ok, the blow outs were my fault!  I have my main gear wheels very tightly cowled
such that you can't readily inspect the condition of the tires without removing
the wheel pants.  I had let one of the tires wear beyond bald......where the
cords were showing through, but didn't know it.  Eventually on one of my
landings,
the tube poked through the tire, and that was that.  My fault.  Mea
Culpa!........lesson
learned.

The nosewheel blowout is a little speculation on my part, but when I went to
repair
the flat, I found the bolts securing the two halves of the wheel rim
together........were
"loose".  I surmised that upon first contact with the ground
on landing, the two halves separated just enough for the tube get inbetween the
two halves of the rim, and pinch a hole in the tube.  When I inspected the tube,
sure enough the hole was on the inside diameter of the tube, right where
a pinching of the rims would occur.  Again, my fault for not checking the
tightness
of the wheel bolts.

The tires supplied by Europa are "middle grade".....not junk, but not premium
either.
After wearing out the factory tires, I have upgraded to Goodyear premium
tires, and they seem to be wearing better.  But......nothing to worry about
with the factory tires.  They're just fine.

Garry V. Stout

District Manager, AT&T Business Services
Phone:  813-878-3929   Fax 813-878-5651

*****Please note new e-mail address******