Re: Mainwheel punctures

Subject: Re: Mainwheel punctures
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:23:00

The accounts of mono mainwheel punctures appear fairly reassuring.

Sounds like directional control is maintained until the end of the
landing run and the prop is relatively safe.

In terms of frequency it would appear that, though not common, they can
and do occur.
Obviously some form of weight bearing structure for the fuselage is
necessary to effect the tyre change.

It's reassuring to note that the Europa club offer the 'Rescue Service'.
I suspect that I haven't taken sufficient interest in this to date, and
that the more popular it becomes, the more able it will be to meet the
needs of those who face unforeseen problems both here in the UK, and in
Europe.

As a Europa pilot who is happy to report many successful trips over the
years to Scotland, Wales, The Channel Islands, France, Denmark, Holland,
Belgium and Switzerland, I feel that it's important that such a service
is supported by those of us with an interest in getting the most from
our aircraft.

Alan