Re: Angle of Attack indicators

Subject: Re: Angle of Attack indicators
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 00:51:14
>Bob,
>
>Many thanks for your email. My decision will be between the factory audible
>alarm (much closer to what I'm used to than buffet strips) or an AoA
>indicator which offers an audible alarm as well as an angle readout. The
>former will be for the really slow work, and the latter for the cruise and
>short-field approaches.
>Jeremy

If you are a Classic, I would be inclined to fit both strips and a warner.
The buffet strips need to be tuned to give a straight stall , flaps down.
What happens is that the strips cause the stall to start at the LE, which
tends to be much more progressive. We had no stall strips, we wanted
maximum TO performance for the short strip we operate from, so our stall
started at the trailing edge and was vicious.
It's possible to set them so that the plane just nods, like a canard. There
is a penalty though, landing may be somewhat faster.
I still do not believe that buffet will be noticed when 3 or 4 other things
are going wrong. In those situations you need a strong reminder to "Fly the
Airplane" first,sort the problem later. Go for a loud warning horn IMHO.
Graham