Re: Angle of Attack indicators

Subject: Re: Angle of Attack indicators
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:34:22
Jan de Jong wrote:

> >From the description I gather that the LRI does not show angle margin above
> stall AoA but lift margin above 1 G lift at the calibration aircraft mass.
> That
> would make it useful in the steady bleading off of energy in landings but not
> as a warning for stalls at any acceleration and aircraft mass. For that you
> would need an AoA measurement or, less expensive, a stall warning device that
> acts as an AoA switch.
> My 2 cents.

LRI's web site contains only an excerpt from a June '84 Aviation
Consumer article. The complete article, which in many parts is not
complimentary to the original inventor (was rather of a character),
has better info.  It discusses testing by Roy Lopresti and Aviation
Consumer, a no-advertising magazine.  They both claim it does give you
margin above stall, at various weights, G-loaded flight, and
airspeeds. While apparently not exact AoA measurement, the testing
showed any "AoA error" - re G-loaded flight and higher airspeeds -
were on the safe side and therefore does what you want it to do.

I can't argue its merits relative to any other, but point out there's
missing but pertinent magazine article content that they just can't
quote!

Regards,
Fred F.