Re: Angle of Attack indicators

Subject: Re: Angle of Attack indicators
From: Paul Atkinson <paul@theatkinsons.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:23:48
Jeremy

I have a Lift Reserve Indicator which does much the same thing as an AOA
indicator. I haven't used it in anger yet, but many years ago flew an
airplane with one, which converted me to the idea. For take-off and
landing you basically ignore airspeed and fly AOA. You just keep it in
the band that says you are safe and you always know how much  margin you
have. Stall warnings happen rarely ( I hope :-) ) so if you get one
close to the ground there is a  chance that it will take you by surprise
and cause you to over react. If you are watching your AOAI there is less
chance of an unpleasant surprise and  you will be able to react to the
problem before it becomes serious. If you intend flying from short
strips it will give you the confidence to fly at slower speeds safely,
thus reducing landing and take-off distances required.
I can't think of any negatives, but then I am biased!

Paul