Re: Top Gloss Finish

Subject: Re: Top Gloss Finish
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:05:45
I've found with similar glossy products (in this case 2-pack clear coat)
that 99.9% of the gun-gloss can be restored by using the progressively
finer grades of wet & dry contained in a Micro-mesh kit ( the kit for
removing scratches from perspex windows) prior to use of fine cutting
compound applied by hand.

Is it all worth it? This is a tremendous amount of work for something that
should (given the proper equipment and skill!) be achievable straight from
the gun.

I note that PPG have a range of water-based finish coatings, including a
primer-filler. But its price is double that of the solvent based stuff and
not far off the cost of the Smooth Prime. Anyone tried it?

Duncan McF.

On Friday, October 11, 2002 7:54 PM, Tony Krzyzewski
[SMTP:tonyk@kaon.co.nz] wrote:

> Once it has dried for a week I grab a palm sander and sand the entire
surface
> with 1200 followed by 1500 grit flushed with plenty of water.
>
> Then its out with the polisher, starting with a rough cut, and working
down to
> a fine cut.
>
> Once you have done all of that you can stand back and look at the shine.
You