Re: Top Gloss Finish

Subject: Re: Top Gloss Finish
From: Jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:24:53
Dave;

I too, used the poly fiber process  up to and including the "Smooth Prime"
coats. The primer is great, however!!!!!!!!!! I also used the top gloss paint
with very poor results in the paint sticking to the primer.

After we painted the plane, we went through the process of wet sanding some of
the runs, wet sanding with 1500 wet or dry as per the manual supplied with the
paint. We then buffed the paint and had a show quality finish. Great so far.

About two or three months later on a flight from south Florida I ran into a
very LIGHT RAIN, for maybe two or three minutes, when I got on the ground I
found that the paint over the windshield was gone. Only the primer was left. A
call to Poly Fiber resulted in me repainting the bow over the windshield using
a slightly different technique. This too, came off in the rain. We made the
trip to Arlington Washington for the EAA fly in with white electrical tape over
the windshield to keep the paint from peeling any further back on the body.

We then took a hard look at the whole airplane after the return trip from
Arlington, we found that the pant could be peeled off wherever there was a
sharp edge, as in the inspection covers. I took a razor blade on the bottom of
the wing and I found if I made a small slit I could peel off the paint. As the
summer progressed I began to see more primer and less paint.

In 2001 we took the a/c to an aviation paint shop and had it repainted using
PPG paints, There have been no further problems even when I get caught in the
rain.

Regards

Jim Brown
N398JB