Re: Top Gloss Finish

Subject: Re: Top Gloss Finish
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 22:02:14
I used Superfil and Top Gloss on my Europa.  I was scared of the more toxic
Imron and such.  I used a HVLP gun and thinned it about 10%.  I never did
get a balance between run-downs and orange peel.  I settled for more of an
orange peel finish and sanded it down with 1500, then I buffed it with three
different grits of polishing compound.  It was a LOT of work.  I finally
settled for less than a mirror finish so I can enjoy the plane.  It has been
flown in heavy rain without peeling off.  I found the finish satisfactory
but not the high gloss of typical fiberglass planes.  If I had it to do over
again, I would have the plane professionally painted with Imron or such.  I
am doing the glider wings at Flightcrafters and they will be finished in
Imron or similar by a professional.  IMHO, with proper precautions, Imron or
PPG or such will likely be a better finish and not kill you during the spray
process.
Ken Carpenter
A123  N9XS   Mono 914