Re: Slow Blow Fuse

Subject: Re: Slow Blow Fuse
From: M.J. Gregory <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 22:35:04
Please remember that fuses and circuit breakers are there to protect the
wiring in the event of a current overload.  A crowbar circuit, where
fitted, is there to protect the equipment from excessive voltage (as a
backstop to the voltage regulator), and would not protect the wiring from
excessive current caused by equipment failure or a short-circuit.

The 30 amp slow-blow fuse, as Andy Draper said, is recommended by Rotax.
This is matched to the permanent magnet alternator of the 912 series, which
has a drooping characteristic  i.e. the voltage drops as more current is
drawn from it  (see Rotax installation manual).  If you fit a different
engine and alternator, then you should follow the recommendations of that
engine manufacturer.   A higher rating than 30 amps may be appropriate if
the alternator has a higher output capability and you wish to make use of
it.  In this case, you may also need to uprate the fuse/circuit breaker in
the battery supply line because, if the alternator failed when all your
equipment was switched on, the battery would supply the full load current
before you had a chance to switch anything off.  You may need to uprate the
cable sizes: these must be capable of carrying the full rated load of the
fuses/breakers without overheating, and should also be large enough to avoid
excessive voltage drop at maximum load.

Fly safely

Mike Gregory
Europa Club Safety Officer