Re: Cockpit cooling again

Subject: Re: Cockpit cooling again
From: TroyMaynor@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:04:57
In a message dated 8/13/02 5:08:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
clevelee@cswebmail.com writes:

<< This technique has been done on older, and even some not so old, certified
 aricraft.  The biggest challenge you'll have is in not damaging the
plexiglas. A
 dull hole saw with very conservative pressure in the drill press would likely
 work well. Certainly a reasonable and lightweight approach to cockpit
 ventilation.

 Aircraft Spruce and Wicks, and possibly Airtex may carry the rotating vent.

I used a fly cutter in a battery powered drill going very slow to do this
once in a Challenger ultralight. (Wouldn't do it on my Europa though, I have
other plans) It had 1/16" lexan (perspex). You should drill a 1/8" hole and
use a smooth drill rod in the flycutter instead of a drill bit. Turn the
cutter around and let it rotate backwards so it doesn't dig in too
aggressively. Go very slowly leaning the cutter as necessary if you're
working on a curved surface.  I cut two without a hitch. You may want to
practice on a piece of scrap before the good stuff.
Troy