Cockpit cooling again

Subject: Cockpit cooling again
From: Kevin Taylor <kevintaylor@space35.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:38:55
Folks,

I was looking again at my mates new Ikarus and at the cooling window he has.
Basically they have cut out a 80mm hole, into which is inserted a
cylindrical receptor which pushes out in to the airflow but held in place by
a lip (So it wont push out). This then turns through 360 deg as required,
which allows you to target how much of the scoop is in the airflow and thus
scoops air through as required. My description is probably confusing but the
device is very primitive and looks like it will work well although we don't
know as the plane hasn't flown yet due to the paperwork bouncing backwards
and forwards!!

My question is this. Is there anything to stop me cutting the 80mm hole out
of my Perspex canopy and inserting one of these window devices which is made
of Perspex?

I suspect the standard answer will be it will degrade the structural
strength of the Perspex....etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Regards

Kevin