Re: 18 amps from a 914 !!!

Subject: Re: 18 amps from a 914 !!!
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:00:51
In a message dated 6/11/2002 9:49:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
RobH@hyperion-ef.com writes:

> Safe assumption on your part.  I was alluding to the accessory pad, which on
> the Rotax 912/914 is available for (pick one, and only one) a vacuum pump,
> hydraulic governor, or an alternator.  When ordering the Rotax you get to
> specify either a vacuum pump or a constant speed prop as accessories, and
> the B&C alternators (8 or 20 Amp) will fit the same pad according to the B&
> reps at AOPA Expo.  Although I am planning to mount the 20 Amp B&C on my
> 914
> I can not confirm from personal experience that it will actually fit.

Here we go again - I was planing the same thing, until I was told that the 20
amp alternator is driven too slowly off the Rotax pad and might give you 10
amps. I am also planning the 40 amp belt driven alternator on the front, and
the airmaster prop -- which need engineering effort. The prop and the
alternator use the same mount. I think there will end up being an extension
to move the prop forward for slip ring access and a corresponding shift
forward of the cowling, which will solve the fit problem of the stock cowling
with the 40 amp alternator. It is too bad the Rotax didn't design a larger
alternator in the standard engine!

Dave Anderson
A227