Re: 18 amps from a 914 !!!

Subject: Re: 18 amps from a 914 !!!
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:03:30
Dave,
        If you guys can wait a bit longer, I will be trying out my system
which is driven by the crank shaft at the rear of the engine.  I'm
waiting for the FAA designee to come and bless the over weight  N15JN.  I
have designed a unit that mounts in the cavity in the rear of the engine
in the space that is created by the ring mount.  This space is presently
not used and is available.  You run the oil hoses etc around the
alternator.  It should put out at least 30 to 35A.  Since we run our
engines at 5000 to 5500 for cruise, it lets the alternator run at that
speed also.  I presently have installed a dual electrical system using
the Rotax power as back up for a failure in the 35A system.  A bit
complicated in the wiring but very acceptable.  The unit weighs 9#
complete.  This leaves the vacuum pad for other things.  It only took 5
years, 3 months of SPARE time,  Remember that was spare time, I didn't
have the use of "Flight Crafters" to help speed  things along. They are
great.  Many builders are taking advantage of them to get things moving
and really cut down on construction time.  I've been there and they have
customers from Hawaii, New York, Penn. and other places.

                                              Jim    AMG058

                                              N15JN