Re: 18 amps from a 914 !!!

Subject: Re: 18 amps from a 914 !!!
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:34:33
In a message dated 6/13/2002 5:57:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
PreDial@aol.com writes:

> Dave,
>
> Seems like a simple speed reduction unit made up of timing belts (cogged
> belts) could be made up to allow the use of the B&C alternator.  We haven't
>
> got our engine yet and didn't take enough measurements at SnF to start a
> design, but that's what we're thinking about.  It won't be all that much
> less
> expensive than the Rotax 40 A unit since the B&C is about $800 US.

Where would this be mounted? Where would the drive be? I can envisage a
pulley of some sort mounted piggy back on the existing alternator drive, but
a flexible coupling to insure that a problem results in a loss of the
alternator and not a problem transferred to the engine.

Dave