Re: Tailplanes

Subject: Re: Tailplanes
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:50:21
It's curious also that Jim Thursby's post said only one tailplane was
real sloppy, so that would rule out service loads.  I looked back at
the manual's method re TP12 where you drill the plastic collars.  I
remember doing the plastic all on the bench, and fitting it to TP12
and pins on same bench, not in the airplane.  A rat-tail file don't
ream nylon quick at all, I remember, but it kept my titanium drills
that are sharp enough for nasty razor cuts just handling them, out of
those metal holes to preserve tight fit of the pins.  .001" of
accidental reaming is trailing-edge play already, and maybe the
increasing slop with flight time is first elongation of the holes in
the nylon spacer?

Can't challenge your calcs for sure, but maybe pulling G's makes the
balance weight heavier, making stick force lighter, so more
aerodynamic load must be built in to counteract - more load on the
pins.  The calc I thus did was crude and potentially questionable, but
reflected this, and put the 3.8G load on the pins at more then you,
but seemingly OK.

Cheers,
Fred F.