Tailplanes

Subject: Tailplanes
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:08:16

I have been keeping a low profile (i.e. none!) on the subject of
tailplanes but I will raise one point of concern and then shut up.

The tailplane torque tube is a flight critical part of the aircraft and
is not an area that I would mess around with lightly. Lots of ideas have
been promulgated on the group but how many have been properly analysed
for airworthiness?

Yes, there may be an issue with the arrangement at the present time, but
the factory has already issued a bulletin about it via the newsletter. I
for one am not going to play with the torque tube unless it is a factory
sanctioned modification.

Modifications to the cosmetics of the aircraft are fine but
modifications to the control systems should be treated as if your life
depends on it.... because it does.

I will now crawl back into my workshop with my pieces of sandpaper.

Tony