Re: Tailplanes

Subject: Re: Tailplanes
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:07:28
I was suggesting was that the method per manual of drilling the
plastic spacers is prone to enlarge the holes.  That causes play, and
with smaller contact area of pin against tubes, high G-loads
concentrate greater stress so as to make them larger - more slop.  I
have no experience there, as I didn't to do it their way.  Suggest
making the holes (especially second one) by enlarging smaller ones
through trial and error, not drilling through the holes at TP12.

With assured tight fit, the rest I think is academic.  The tailplane
is always statically balanced, but I was picturing loads under high-G
acceleration.  If you balance a 10' length of 1" PVC pipe in your
hand, and rapidly push upward, what happens at the ends?  On the
tailplane, the opposing loads are concentrated at the torque tube,
where the concentric tubes attempt to turn in opposition and bear on
the pins.  The only two adverse situations in normal flight I vote for
are hard landings and really bad jolts in turbulence; other loads you
describe I'd guess are on the mild side.  Redesigning the mass balance
would help for acro.  With the long balance arm, pull high G's on the
stick, and the pins get a real inertial whack when the weight "catches
up" to where you yanked the stick back.  Anybody snap rolled one yet?
:-)

Regards,
Fred F.