Re: aileron mass balance XS

Subject: Re: aileron mass balance XS
From: Paul & Liz Atkinson <paulliz@cix.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:05:31
Kevin

I can@t help with the boxes etc 'cos I am  building a
classic. Regarding the weights, yes that is what I
plan to do once I have painted my ailerons. The only
point to watch is taking out too much lead near the
rear of the weights and the whole thing becoming
rather floppy! A remote possibility perhaps.

Paul

In article
<LNBBLIMEDJIBKNGEBDHBEEMDCEAA.kevann@gte.net>,
kevann@gte.net (Kevin Klinefelter) wrote:

>  Hello all, I got a build question. I have not yet
installed the mass
> balance horns or their boxes in the wings. The
ailerons are done and
> mounted
> on the wings. It would seem to make sense to mark
where the horns are
> to go
> on the ailerons and their cut- outs on the wing skin
and then redux the
> boxes in place before the top skin goes on. Then
when everything is
> where it
> is supposed to end up, cut cut the skin and closeout
for the horns. Then
> with foam arms made up to the length they should be
including the lead
> (but
> no lead yet) attached to the ailerons, shape for
clearance. Then cut
> off the
> end of the arm where the lead is supposed to go and
... well you know.
> Sound
> like a reasonable way to proceed?
>                      Also, since this is a balance,
and a bunch of
> weight,
> when drilling out for balancing, would it not make
sense to do your
> holes in
> the lead from the aft end as much as possible,
getting rid of as much
> weight
> as possible and still getting balance?
>
>                Thanks and, peace to all.      Kevin