Re: aileron mass balance XS

Subject: Re: aileron mass balance XS
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:19:48
Kevin Klinefelter wrote:

>  Hello all, I got a build question. I have not yet installed the mass
> balance horns or their boxes in the wings. The ailerons are done and mounted
> on the wings. It would seem to make sense to mark where the horns are to go
> on the ailerons and their cut- outs on the wing skin and then redux the
> boxes in place before the top skin goes on. Then when everything is where it
> is supposed to end up, cut cut the skin and closeout for the horns. Then
> with foam arms made up to the length they should be including the lead (but
> no lead yet) attached to the ailerons, shape for clearance. Then cut off the
> end of the arm where the lead is supposed to go and ... well you know. Sound
> like a reasonable way to proceed?
>                      Also, since this is a balance, and a bunch of weight,
> when drilling out for balancing, would it not make sense to do your holes in
> the lead from the aft end as much as possible, getting rid of as much weight
> as possible and still getting balance?
>
>                Thanks and, peace to all.      Kevin Klinefelter A211
>
> Bishop CA

Kevin,

It is likely that the aileron mass balance weights
also effect aerodynamics, like spades, so I recommend
making them to spec as in the manual, just make sure
that the bottom of the weights is flush with the bottom
of the aileron, and a line thru the top of the weight/foam
ends at the leading edge of the aileron, not the very top
surface.
When it comes to balancing (after paint, etc), almost
all the lead will be drilled out, so it is not as critical to
favour the rear as you might think (still a good idea
though).

I agree it is best to bond in the boxes before
cutting out the openings in the lower skin or
bonding on the top skin.

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135