Re: Kremen variable pich props

Subject: Re: Kremen variable pich props
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 08:36:07
I use (and sell) the Arplast PV50 - In Flight Adjustable and don't feel any
need for Constant Speed. However Arplast are working on a new direct drive
model for the Jabiru and similar engines that will have constant speed
control. The constant speed unit will then be available on all PV50
propellers and probably available as a retro-fit for existing users.

The In Flight Adjustable prop with composite blades is still only 1625 with
LCD pitch display ( around $2300 ). What I would say is that depending on
where you live in the world you may want to add a little weight to buying a
locally made prop. If you do have a problem or more likely have to send the
prop back for repair then its easier not to send it half way round the
world. The MT prop is mechanically great but I think I am right in saying
that it has to be transported assembled making it difficult to send to
Germany for maintenance. I don't know about the other props except for the
PV50 which can be easily disassembled.

We have had to send quite a few Europa props back to the factory for repair
and its been a blessing that it's inexpensive and quick. A typical ground
strike doesn't break all blades but does damage them together with some
inexpensive but critical parts inside the hub. No one likes to think that
they're going to need to send their prop for repair but its worth
considering. Recently one of my customers taxied his aircraft over a large
plastic runway marker (long story) and we were able to send his prop to the
factory and receive back within 10 working days. Cost including shipping
both ways was 405 + VAT and the prop was as good as new. They are not that
quick in the summer but still not bad.

Jerry

                                                LTS@avnet.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown