Re: Re: Kremen variable pich props

Subject: Re: Re: Kremen variable pich props
From: David Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:59:58

I agree with what you are saying and we flew G-BXDY for 2 years with the
ground adjustable prop.

However I have to say that flying with the VP is almost as simple, but
with a lot of side benefits as well.

At the top of the climb we go from fully fine to fully coarse, and it
stays there until we get to landing, when at the end of downwind we go
---From fully coarse to fully fine. As far as I am aware, all other VP
Europas are flown pretty much the same. You have to agree that is pretty
simple.

I have tried a go around in fully coarse and have found that even our
standard 912 gives 500 fpm in this mode so it is not quite so critical
to remember to go to fine, but obviously it is best to remember.

  Take heart, those who are still building. Europas powered by a Rotax
912S
  (100HP). It does not need a variable pitch prop.

  My aeroplane must be typical. It gets off the ground shorter than it
lands.
  It does 110knots at 4600 rpm, and 120 knots at 5000 rpm. Why would I
want to
  go to the expense and complexity of a variable pitch? Oh! and it
climbs at
  1000 ft/min full load.

  Keep it simple. Enjoy looking out of the window!