Re: bonding in the cockpit module

Subject: Re: bonding in the cockpit module
From: Bill McClellan <wilmac@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:53:58

Paul,

The manual doesn't make this real clear but make sure in you get the
module square to the fuselage.  Trial fit it and make some marks/lines
so it gets glued in the correct position.  The module determines the
wing position.   You don't want one wing lower or further back than the
other.  If the module is a little off it makes for a bigger deviation
out at the wing tips.  I used the deck of the seat back rest behind the
head rests as one datum plane.  The fuselage flange (after being trimmed
properly) just aft of the firewall as another, and the tailplane torque
tube (which you haven't put in yet) as the third.  You want all three
parallel.  The top surface of the foot wells are not as good as both the
surfaces slope moving forward and are hard to see when you site with the
other planes to see if they are parallel.  Do compare the foot well to
the other three surfaces though.

You put the Redux glue on the module and then drop it in place.  The
glue will try to rub off on the fuselage as you slide the module in
place.  Best to have several hands to help spread the fuselage sides and
assist lowering the module in place.  I used a simple block and tackle
overhead to assist lowering the module.  I hooked the sling to the
module in the head rest cut openings and guided the front of the module
by hand.  Before gluing check where the module contacts the fuselage and
where there are gaps as you will want the glue to fill all the places it
is supposed to contact the fuselage.  I used self tapping screws
sparingly (only 10 to 15) to draw the module to the fuselage.  Realize
that whether you use screws, rivets or clecos it potentially locally
dimples the fuselage skin or can even more significantly deforms the
fuselage shape.  You want the module glued in but with out much
deformation of the fuselage.  I didn't draw down the screws tight if
there was a space there as that would for sure dimple the outer skin.
The Redux glue holds well even filling a space of 1/4 inch.  Hopefully
you won't have any spaces that large.

I also found that the way you support the fuselage hull changes its
shape.  I used a sling or strap around the fuselage right at the rear of
where the module goes as that let the fuselage bottom stay closest to
its unloaded shape.  I supported the front of the fuselage with two
bolts through the fselage sides at the firewall to fuselage union.  It
is rather stiff there and not prone to deforming with any supporting
methods.

I used about 3/4 can of the Redux glue and had some clean up of glue
that oozed from the joints.  Make sure you use enough flox in the glue
so it doesn't run.  Too much flox in the glue is better than too
little.  Easiest to mix in many containers as opposed one or just a
few.  You might have someone measuring and mixing as you go.  The
temperature was about 80 deg F and I had plenty of time with out the
Redux going off but that could be a concern.  The Redux was setting up
when I was through positioning and was cleaning up the ooze from the
joints.

You need to trim off a portion of the rear of the module which I don't
believe is in the current manual yet.  If this section is not trimmed
before gluing, it will have to be trimmed later to put in the baggage
compartment bulkhead.  I can send you a picture of this area trimmed if
you wish.

I felt the same way about the spars clearance.  Hopefully I won't
discover a problem later.

Good luck,
Bill McClellan
A164