Re: bonding in the cockpit module

Subject: Re: bonding in the cockpit module
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 11:03:43
I found it surprisingly easy - as did Neville, who was helping me. The tricks
are:

1/ decent fuselage jig that holds the bottom half rigid (essential, I believe)
2/ remove the module side pieces "seat front to seat back" and "seat front to
rudder
pedal bulkhead" - replace later with 3 x bid (approved by Andy)
3/ sort out position - all I needed was 2 x AN3 bolts pulling the module as far
forward
as possible, 2 X skin pins just forward of the aft bulkhead about 4" down, and
a wide
ratchet strap pulling down on the seat headrest tops via a 3 X 4 and a couple of
eye
bolts. - mark positions with guide lines/tape
4/ pure redux on bond areas in shell, redux/flox on flanges of cockpit module
(thicker
where appropriate) - spread shell slightly when dropping module in: went in with
no
fuss, took about 10 minutes to settle into position, another hour to clean up
the
ooze...

Total time from mixing redux to going to the pub - about 2 1/2 hours - 1/2 hour
was
standing there going ooh aah....

No big deal if you are prepared - 2 people essential, 3 or 4 would be nice.

Might be able to find a pic - not that it shows much.....

good luck!

Miles