RE: amps

Subject: RE: amps
From: Gregory Mike <M.J.Gregory@cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:13:07
But, Hedley, did you also test them in a 24v circuit?

It's helpful to look at a manufacturer's catalogue to see for the expected
trip characteristics of a particular circuit breaker should be. These will
depend on whether its operation is magnetic or thermal, or combined
magnetic/thermal. While you are correct in thinking that the trip current
should be independent of the circuit voltage, how quickly it trips will
depend on the rate at which the current rises and the current level reached.
For example, a typical thermal circuit breaker, rated at up to 240 V 50 Hz
AC/28 V DC, is quoted as having typical trip times in seconds at 23 degrees
C. of:
100% -- no trip
200% -- 10-60
300% -- 3.5-14
400% -- 2-7
500% -- 1.5-5
600% -- 1-3.5
This means that you would see your test wire glowing at 200% rated current
for up to a minute before the breaker trips. As your test wire heats up, its
resistance would increase and reduce the current unless you slide the
tapping to maintain a constant current. If the current dips below 200%, the
trip time would even greater.

Hope this helps

Mike
Europa Club Safety Officer