Re: amps

Subject: Re: amps
From: Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu@pcocd2.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:12:41

I looks like you are matching the circuit breaker/fuse to the item which
is drawing the load.  This is one way to do it, but the way that I was
taught was to match the fuse to the wire which is feeding the current.

After all, the purpose of a fuse or circuit breaker is to prevent electrical
fire in the event of a short.  It is not really important if the intercom is
drawing a bit more than 0.5 A, for example, but it is important if the
intercom is drawing so much current that the wires overheat.

The advantage of matching the fuse to the feed wire is you will not have any
nuisance trips and there will be a smaller variety of fuses.  The advantage
of matching the fuse to the expected load is the ability to detect when a
device is drawing a small amount of current greater than expected.  Finding
this out is usually not worth having the circuit breaker or fuse trip during
flight.

Brian