Re: amps

Subject: Re: amps
From: hedley brown <hedley@hedleybrown.flyer.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:27:54
I have been deluded by my simple mind into thinking that a 5-amp contact
breaker for dc circuits would break at 5 amps regardless of whether it was
rated at 12 or 24 amps. Not so. Having installed 11 of them from a motor
trader's catalogue, with the great advantage that they were exchangeable
with spade-type motor fuses, I was warned that because they were deemed
suitable also for 24-volt circuits they might not break at the right
amperage. I was incredulous - amps are amps.... relative to wire thickness
that's what makes the heat that breaks the fuse or clicks the breaker,
surely. No; they broke contact at twice the rated current, by which time my
trial variable-length of hotwire was glowing brightly. Had to resort to good
'ole fuses and write off 110.00. Still don't understand the physics.  Ah.,
well....