Re: FW: "A PLANE IS BORN"

Subject: Re: FW: "A PLANE IS BORN"
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:53:14
        type="multipart/alternative";

As you summed up Bob (IMHO).... I think you have to realise that this is
an entertainment program directed at the general public, 99% of whom
have no intention of building a plane or even flying in one, but who are
just generally interested in aviation or the way a plane is built.  I'm
sure there was no intention to make a detailed instructional video... it
would need to be considerably longer and would bore the pants off any
one not actually building a plane. I agree, it holds little useful
information for a builder to be, and even less for those of us who have
got the tee shirt, but it could wet a the appetites of those considering
taking the plunge, and has got to be a brilliant advert for Europa. Also
its better than watching Eastenders!

Jim----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob.Harrison
  Subject: FW: "A PLANE IS BORN"

  Hi! Guys.
  Well I managed to get my neighbour to kindly record today's episode .
  I just watched it and managed to fall to sleep, still making my mind
up as to whether it was the programme or my current bodily state!
  However I can report that the picture quality is good, the sound
editing in places leaves a bit to be desired, the content of the
aircraft build work was interesting for me since it was an XS "aero fix"
wing , however there was not a drop of corrosion protection  to be seen!
  IMHO :- and without prejudice ! The overall content was really
directed at a wide general public audience perhaps with little or no
previous knowledge of aircraft
  or flying. There was considerable time dedicated to Mark's learning to
fly, and some secondary consideration of the Pietenpol Camper Aircraft.
Neither of which really contained any interest to me.
  I think that I would be very cautious to take much of the learning
curve on board other than the general arrangement of parts, there could
be potential for being unwittingly misled.
  For instance he talks of "gluing" instead of "bonding"! without any
reference to the importance of abrading necessary and I saw one ply of
bid going into place
  with Mark mentioning that a further two plys were to follow, (when?
-straight away before curing or later after the first ply had cured etc.
?) Furthermore the amount of epoxy he used was "without caution" (better
to use black bin bag liners to wet out bid on, that way you can see
exactly how little you can get away with)
  Generally I was bored , but of course I'd "been there, done that" and
what's more I had the benefit of Kit100 Mk1 (G-OGAN) five miles away
considerably
  more advanced than my steed which was a "not inconsiderable leg up "
for me.?

  Hope this puts things in a reasonable perspective and helps you all to
evaluate your real requirement, without causing you any confusion.
  To be frank,at one stage last week I was running about "like a
headless chicken
  shouting who's got SKY " Must get copies , must get copies----- must
get copies
  but now having seen this episode  NO THANKS I certainly wouldn't pay
for it.

  Hope to see some of you at the Christmas Dinner tomorrow.

  Regards to all.

  Bob Harrison  G-PTAG.