Re: Carb. air ice?

Subject: Re: Carb. air ice?
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 14:51:33
Randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk writes:

<< im,
     Will you please expand on the precautions which we should be taking to
 detect and eliminate carb. air ice, the cases which you appear to know about
 which have not been publicised, and the symptons which you say are different
 from those which we have been taught to recognize.
     It would be useful to know what temperature the body of the carburettor
 achieves in relation to the O.A.T. during flight. Does the  Company have any
 figures, and if not is there any chance that they might investigate this in
 view of the current concern about this topic?

 Roger Anderson. G-BXTD

Good on yer! Roger.

Quite right. This subject is too important for the facts to be kept under
cover if it is common.

There have been only the two reported incidents of carb icing on this site.
(two and a half if you count Roger A's) Not serious in the context of 20,000
hours. So why is Jim reporting the Europa Are strongly of the opinion that XS
Cowlings need them. I recall Andy being of the exact opposite opinion after
extensive testing at the launch of the XS.

The other thing that worries me what symptoms are we supposed to be looking
out for. Do our Rotates ever stop running with carb icing as the Lycomings
do? Or do they just grumble and bang?

Since the carb heaters available to us do nothing to warm the air via the
plenum chamber how are they any more help to us than carb systems heated by
the exhaust pipes? I truly hope that I am not getting too boring on this
subject, but I feel that I should know more.

Bryan Allsop