Re: Carb. air ice?

Subject: Re: Carb. air ice?
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 05:15:15
Message text written by "Europa Aircraft"
> After that
I fitted a Skydrive carb ice system set to work as a "always on" system. (I
left out the control valve.)<

I am considering fitting the Skydrive Carb Ice System to my Classic Europa
which has a plenum chamber inlet. As the system moves the carbs rearwards
is there enough room between the carbs and the plenum chamber?  On the
Classic the plenum chamber is as far aft as the firewall will allow.

Although having the system on permanently might be a good idea I have heard
of cases (on other aircraft) in very cold OAT conditions of carb heat
raising the carb body temp into the icing range. Remember that there is a
lower limit to the range of temperatures where icing is a risk. The band is
about zero to -10C. If it is possible to get icing with an OAT of say 10C (
the air is cooled further by the pressure drop in the venturi and by the
fuel vapourising), then if the OAT was -5C, the air in the carb  could be
as low as -15C. If this was the case heating the carb  could bring it into
the icing range. Leaving the system on all the time is only a good idea if
you are sure that the heat is sufficient to raise the carb temp above zero
in all conditions.

Nigel Charles