Re: Carb. air ice?

Subject: Re: Carb. air ice?
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 08:33:32
 <005301c05a27$6090ca60$a61dfea9@laptop>
 <4.3.2.7.2.20001129225017.00ba3e70@post.avnet.co.uk>

>Another
> >factor that may improve economy running conditions is that the extra heat
> >will help to evaporate the fuel quicker, giving perhaps better mixture
> >distribution and cleaner burning. That is my guess, not tested.
> >
>The theory of petrol engines is that one doesn't want the petrol to
>evaporate outside the cylinders as this reduces the mass of charge which
>can be drawn in.

In the cruise I don't think this is an issue, because at part throttle the
engine will get enough air, however momentum effects might cause fuel
droplets to be unevenly distributed. Peculiar EGT distributions at various
settings tend to confirm this theory.

One does wonder if detonation is a risk if all the droplets are evaporated
since fuel not in vapour form can't burn? Sorry about the incomplete
theorizing, maybe someone who really knows might comment?

Graham