Re: Carb. air ice?

Subject: Re: Carb. air ice?
From: Roger Anderson <Randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:59:54

> Just so we are clear on this, Europa XS's fitted with 912 or 912S's ARE
> vulnerable to carb icing and you should take precautions to detect and
> eliminate it. It has happened more times than reported in Rotax's  I
believe
> due to the fact that it does not have the symptoms of carb icing as we are
> taught to recognize during our training. The proximity of the exhaust
pipes
> is not enough. That will only serve to heat the carb bowls and the fuel,
not
> the incoming air, I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
>
>      Jim Thursby
>  Europa Aircraft Company

Jim,
    Will you please expand on the precautions which we should be taking to
detect and eliminate carb. air ice, the cases which you appear to know about
which have not been publicised, and the symptons which you say are different
---From those which we have been taught to recognize.
    It would be useful to know what temperature the body of the carburettor
achieves in relation to the O.A.T. during flight. Does the  Company have any
figures, and if not is there any chance that they might investigate this in
view of the current concern about this topic?

Roger Anderson. G-BXTD