Re: Carb. air ice?

Subject: Re: Carb. air ice?
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:03:35
The Skydrive Carb heater is simply a hot water jacket around the butterfly
valve of the carb. It keeps the valve hot enough to stop ice forming onto it.
Probably the heat conducts far enough down the ventury section to do the same
there.

There is certainly no attempt to warm the air, or mixture.

With the relatively close proximity of the rear exhaust pipes to the carbs, I
would question the need for additional heating of the carb metalwork. The
radiant heat in that enclosed environment must make it quite hot in that
area. So hot, that we are advised to fix heat insulation to any fuel pipes
right up to the carbs.

Could this be why the Europa does not ice up? Would it be a good idea to fix
a thermocouple to the carbs to find out. Any volunteers? Mine is not flying
at the moment.

Regards.....Bryan Allsop

PS Incidentally. Has anyone experienced dimensional changes in the exhaust
pipes in the first 50 hours? My silencer has dropped between services, and I
cannot get it back to the original relationship with the engine.