Re: Carb. air ice?

Subject: Re: Carb. air ice?
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:54:27

>Some members suggest fitting the Nigel Beale mod. to heat the
>carburettors, which uses coolant from the cylinder heads.However, it
>occurs to me that although this will probably deal with the ice when the
>coolant has gained sufficient heat from the cylinder heads, the mod. then
>becomes redundant, as it appears that radiation from the engine is
>sufficient to melt any ice as soon as it has warmed up. The period
>throughout which the mod. may be effective is debatable.

Those who have made serious efforts to get cold air to the carb inlets may
well encounter conditions which will induce barb icing in flight. Another
factor that may improve economy running conditions is that the extra heat
will help to evaporate the fuel quicker, giving perhaps better mixture
distribution and cleaner burning. That is my guess, not tested.

Graham