Re: Routing rudder cables

Subject: Re: Routing rudder cables
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:46:46

<<  I'm considering running the tubing from the forward rub
 strips back to the pulleys.  But how about another piece from the aft
 side of the pulley to the plywood stabilator weight support?  Does that
 make any sense? >>

Remember that you need to be able to inspect the rudder cables at annual
time. It's helpful to be able to slide the cable forward to check the section
that's in the NylaFlo and especially the part that passes over the pulleys,
where wear is most likely.

The turnbuckles also need to be placed far enough aft of the pulleys to allow
sliding the cable forward for inspection.  Using a pin & fork on one side of
the turnbuckle facilitates this inspection.

The tubing from the rubbing blocks to a point just forward of the pulleys is
a fairly straight run, so minimal friction; I expect that Nylaflo is adequate
and teflon is probably not necessary.

I found that the cables do rub on the sides of the plywood bob weight
constraint structure. A piece of larger nylon tubing was slit lengthwise and
placed over the edge of this ply in the area where rubbing occurs.

John            N44EU