Turbo Rotax questions?

Subject: Turbo Rotax questions?
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:42:29
It is still going to be a year or so before I consider purchasing an
engine.  There are some things on the turbo rotax that have me confused
however.  I note that the turbo is upstream of the carbs.  The carbs are
the float bowl type as on my BMW, these puppies are vented to the
atmosphere  to work properly.  How can you get away with pressurizing the
intakes  without blowing fuel out the bowl vents?  These carbs being the
constant velocity type open their throttle slide in proportion to the
amount of intake vacuum behind them available. Why doesn't increasing the
differential pressure around the throttle slide cause problems with this
type of setup?  Has anyone come up with a routine to be able to lean the
mixture at altitude for better fuel economy?  Finally does the turbo heat
the incoming air enough to pull cold air from the outside without having to
worry about the onset of carb icing?

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ