Re: Turbo Rotax questions?

Subject: Re: Turbo Rotax questions?
From: Kevin Hickey <kghickey@cybertours.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:52:17
> I note that the turbo is upstream of the carbs.  The carbs are
> the float bowl type as on my BMW, these puppies are vented to the
> atmosphere  to work properly.  How can you get away with pressurizing the
> intakes  without blowing fuel out the bowl vents?

Hi Steve,

I'm not familiar with the particular carburetors you are talking about,
but the basic answer to your question is that carb bowls are vented to
the carb troat so that the air pressure at the suface of the float bowl
is the same as the pressure at the carb intake. Almost all modern
carburetors are built this way. If a float bowl is vented directly to
the atmosphere then anything that changes the pressure at the throat
relative to the atmosphere will change the fuel mixture. Even a partly
clogged air cleaner would have a drastic effect on mixture.

I hope this is helpful,

Kevin