Re: TP5-TP6?

Subject: Re: TP5-TP6?
From: Jim Graham <jlgraham@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:32:59

Steve,
Have a look at the posting from Nigel Graham on Jul 22, 1999, which I will
repeat here if you do not have access back that far...

QUOTE:

     I too had grave concerns about the flimsy method of attaching these
     vital bushes into the tail plane. These concerns have subsequently
     proved to be well founded.  I incorporated both bushes into a strong
     but lightweight (48 grams each) tube that bonds the entire bush
     surface area and prevents either of them going anywhere should the
     glass/steel bond fail. It also significantly simplifies the build
     process. I've enclosed a Word Document that describes the technique.

     This will only be of interest to those of you building the tail plane
     from scratch and cannot be retrofitted to completed tail planes.

     All mods should of course be carried out with the approval of the
     appropriate authority.

     Hope this helps

     Nigel

END QUOTE

The posting was in response to a concern much like yours from another
builder--and I also had had concerns, so I was glad someone had "blazed the
trail."  Both the other builder and I have now completed the mod, and in my
case, that is just where I have gotten to in the build.  (I floxed the tubes in
place in the stbd and port TP2s last week.)  My own bushing tubes each added
about 70 grams rather than the 48 grams mentioned by Nigel... hope that doesn't
mean I am a "heavy builder," but whatever, I will try to do things lighter in
the future.  The tubes work like a charm, and the torque tube slides in
straightaway and smoothly, without the chance of (1) the individual bushings
being misaligned or knocked out of kilter, and (2) practically no chance of
damaging the foam that is otherwise right alongside the torque tube as it is
inserted. The entire assembly seems now to be much more soundly attached than it
would have been otherwise, with not that much weight added.  I feel very good
about the mod.

Would be happy to elaborate if you wish--just contact me directly.  Or others on
the net may have similar (or related?) experiences.

Regards,
Jim Graham
A-101 TriGear going slowly, but going...