TP5-TP6?

Subject: TP5-TP6?
From: HAGARGS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 17:33:46
I have gotten the tailplane bushings all roughed up nicely on the outside
surface with a die grinder.  Now this question has probably been asked a
dozen times by now, though I haven't see any mention in the Europa flyers I
have.

When trial fitting the bushings in the talplanes, the fit, as expected, is
very loose in the tail plane and very tight on the torque tube. I envision
much fumbling occurring when slathering 5 minute on the outside of the
bushings, then pushing a very tight torque tube into the tailplane through
the bushings while trying to keep the slugs positioned at the proper position
extending out from the surfaces.  Not to mention aligning the axis of the
tube to the axis of the tailplane while the curing occurs.

I would like some comments on the following sceneario:

My first thoughts are to make some sort of collet fixturing to hold the out
board bushing in place and positioned securly while shoving the torque tube
in. Once the tube sufficiently inserted the angled inboard busing can be
tapped in over the end of the tube and held in place till setting occurs. The
torque tube to be sprayed with silicone to minimize the epoxy adhering to it.

Has any one developed a routine to accomplish this task giving satisfactory
results?  I envision spending a day or so of making some sort of fixture to
do this 20 minute job.  Fill me in, do I need to be meticulous here or does
the final result come out in the wash later in the build with further work?

Thanks for any consideration

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ