Re: Aileron hinges

Subject: Re: Aileron hinges
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:40:08
>Graham Singleton wrote:
>>
>> BTW I always flox the hinges to the aileron holding the position with skin
>> pins, and let the flox cure before the pop rivets are pullled. That way the
>> flange won't be distorted by the rivetting forces. Make sense?
>>
>If it makes sense for the ailerons (and it does), it would also seem to
make sense on the rudder
>hinges, which is just where I am now.  Did you just apply a light edge
coat of flox for light
>bonding, or a very light coat of flox under the hinges, or what?  Not
entirely clear,

The main purpose of the flox is to provide an accurately aligned flat base
for the hinges, bonding will not provide much in the way of long term
strength since epoxy doesn't bond chemically to metal. Except when you
don't want it to, of course! {:-<  like between the flaps of the hinge.
Make sure none gets into the pins but put enough on so that a good bed is
formed while the hinges are still attached to your straight edge

Yes, the same principle applies to all the hinges.

Graham