Re: Tri-Gear Changeover

Subject: Re: Tri-Gear Changeover
From: David Hillam <dgh@liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 20:38:07

> << I have been trying to figure out what the heck you are
talking about..   What is the problem?

> Tom --
>
> The problem primarily concerns the tri-gear, where originally Europa left the
> old-style tailwheel hardware in place, actuating the rudder via a bellcrank on
> a solid but heavy casting which mounted the tailwheel pivot shaft.  The rudder
> itself was deflected with a hidden push rod.  At the time they modified the
> monowheel's tail wheel, for the tri-gear they just connected the rudder cables
> directly to the rudder, pivoting a bellcrank on the rudder's own hinges.  One
> cable necessarily emerges from the side of the fuselage.
>
> ............> but an occasional and substantial pull on
both cables places a big load on a
> little piece of aluminum piano hinge, plus the glass flanges to which it
> attaches can flex. ......
>
> It is so much easier to modify it now, with the top off.  Once bonded on, any
> work back in the tail would be really problematic.  If you are building a tri-
> gear and would like more info, let me know.  If you're doing the monowheel,
> other builders have done mods back there too, so just post an inquiry.
>
> Regards,
> Fred Fillinger

Dear Fred

I must have one of the few Europas with TWO tailwheels -
but not flying yet.  I have fitted the new tailwheel spring
but not removed the old wheel yet.  With the top on, it
seems a horrendous job to fit the modified cables, remove
the rudder push rod and fit a new bellcrank to the base of
the rudder  -   and unnecessary.

At the Cranfield PFA Rally there were several Europas which
had fitted a new steering arm to the base of the old
tailwheel pivot and the cables run externally to the new
tailwheel.  This must save a whole lot of work inside the
rear of the fuselage as well as obviate the need to fit
bellcrank to base of rudder, increasing the strain on the
hinges.

Does anyone have experience of this mod and if so, what are
the specifications for the new arm on the bottom of the old
tailwheel pivot.  I assume there is an optimum size/shape
of this arm in order to get the correct amount of rotation
on the tailwheel.

David Hillam

dgh@liverpool.ac.uk