Re: Just a thought !

Subject: Re: Just a thought !
From: David Hillam <dgh@liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 21:38:08
You were very wise to try out the spar pins before you
bonded the bushes - I didn't and found there was a very
small discrepency which made it difficult to fit the spar
pins.  (Original version with handmade wings).  I
understand that other people have had similar difficulties
which appear to be because the pre-drilled holes for the
bushes do not match the spars precisely.  Mine were only
slightly out and were easily corrected by a little gentle
reaming of the bushes.

It would be better to try on the spars with the pins before
you bond in the bushes - you may need to slightly `ovalise'
the holes before you bond.  We are only talking about less
than half a millimeter here, not the couple of millimeters
due to expansion of a dummy.

Regards,

David Hillam
Kit 113    G-SHSH

 The first of my beautifully machined, key-headed
> half-inch bolts slipped in a treat but the second went "clonk" when it
> passed through the dummy and reached the real one.
> The dummy spar drillings appeared to be about 2mm further apart than the
> real ones. When I had recovered sufficiently and had put away the smelling
> salts , I tried the dummy in the cockpit module and, low and behold, it
> didn't fit there either !!
> Yesterday, after cleaning-up the end of the port main spar to fit into the
> socket, I slotted it into the CM and, much to my relief, the bolts slid in
> nicely.
>
> Regards to all. Ron Jones. 359XS

David Hillam

dgh@liverpool.ac.uk