Re: exhaust pipe "failures"

Subject: Re: exhaust pipe "failures"
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 09:23:41
>Just want to know if this ceramic or plasma coating can still be done on
>our exhausts ?

I used to have it done on racing motorcycle exhausts 15+ years ago -no idea
where you'd get it done. The disadvantage is that if it cracks, you have to
grind away the coating either side of the crack for 2-3 mm so iot can be
welded -and then it might not take.

>And what about stainless steel exhausts - why can't Europa's manufacturer
>make them anymore? Apperently they did the very first exhausts in stainless
>steel and then stopped. I am sure we all would be prepared to pay a little
>extra to avoid changing the exhaust every 60 houres (for me this was from
>May 97 until Sept 97 !!)

No doubt price has something to do with it -really good stuff is really
expensive. There are plenty of good racing exhaust firms about who can
reproduce anything in a decent material. The prefered material is S-524
(Titanium stabilised stainless) although S-321 is in practice exactly the
same without the aerospace price.

Miles