Re: Inertial Reels

Subject: Re: Inertial Reels
From: Peter S. Lert <peterlert@montrose.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 09:39:43
Actually, some automotive reels _can_ be locked, usually electrically.
I had a Mazda station wagon about 20 years ago with that feature; you
could hear and feel the reels lock up if you cornered hard.  Check out
the junkyards.

A couple of alternatives:

1.)  Military surplus--check with a Warbird organization.

2.)  Most of the automotive reels do have a locking feature, activated
by rapid extension (e.g., during a crash).  If you lean way back in the
seat, then grab the harness and give a brisk jerk, chances are that
it'll lock while still remaining snug.  To unlock, lean way back once
again.

3.)  You can modify an automotive reel by drilling a few holes in the
flange at one end and rigging up a locking plunger, through the metal
frame, operated by a bicycle handbrake cable or similar.

        Although I was never an Army aviator, the guy who taught me to fly
helos (Maj. George Stapp, an old Hook driver) and various other friends
are graduates of "Mother Rucker," and they're all good guys.

                        good luck, psl